Friday, December 5, 2008

A Jesus Freak Quiz

There's a lot of chatter among the Conservative Elite concerning the pernicious effect social conservatives in general and evangelicals in particular are having on the Republican Party.
Which got me to thinking about Jesus Freaks.
So, a quiz:
Which Jesus Freak made all the following statments?

“The Bible runs through all U.S. life, whether people know if or not. It’s the founding book. The founding fathers’ book anyway. People can’t get away from it. you can’t get away from it wherever you go. Those ideas were true then and they’re true now. They’re scriptural, spiritual laws. I guess people can read into that what they want. But if you’re familiar with those concepts they’ll probably find enough of them in my stuff. Because I always get back to that.”

"God will stay with America as long as America stays with God. A lot of people maybe even the President, maybe a lot of senators, you hear them speak and they'll speak of the attributes of God. But none of them are speaking about being a disciple of Christ".

"Hmmm. Pretty rude bunch tonight, huh? You all know how to be real rude. You know about the spirit of the Anti-Christ? Does anyone here know about that? Ah, the spirit of the Anti-Christ is loose right now ... You talk to your teachers about what I said. I'm sure you're paying a lot of money for your education, so you'd better get one."

“One thing led to another ... until I had this feeling, this vision and feeling. I truly had a born-again experience, if you want to call it that. It’s an over-used term, but it’s something that people can relate to.”

“All that exists is spirit, before, now and forever more . . . Messiah will rule. He is, was and will be about God, doing God's business. Drought, famine, war, murder, theft, earthquake and all the evil things will be no more . . . God is coming."

“Christ didn't preach religion. He preached the Truth, the Way and the Life. He said He'd come to give life and life more abundantly. He talked about life, not necessarily religion.”
“There's gonna be war. There's always war and rumors of war. And The Bible talks about a war coming up which will be a war to end all wars ... ... The spirit of the atheist will not prevail, I can tell you that much, It's a deceiving spirit.”
“Jesus put his hand on me. It was a physical thing. I felt it. I felt it all over me. I felt my whole body tremble. The glory of the Lord knocked me down and picked me up".

"Sure I believe in it. I believe that ever since Adam and Eve got thrown out of the garden that the whole nature of the planet has been heading in one direction - towards apocalypse. It's all there in the Book of Revelations, but it's difficult talking about these things to most people because most people don't know what you're talking about, or don't want to listen.”
"Being born again is a hard thing ... We don't like to lose those old attitudes and hang-ups. Conversion takes time because you have to learn to crawl before you can walk. You have to learn to drink milk before you can eat meat. You're reborn, but like a baby. A baby doesn't know anything about this world, and that's what it's like when you're reborn. You're a stranger. You have to learn all over again."

That's right. It was Bob Dylan.

I think he's a Jew again now, though.

No comments: