Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Green Revolution We Can Believe In?

I certainly hope so.
(Revolutions are always fun to watch...from a safe distance, of course.)

If there is a revolution in Iran, it will accomplished by a bunch of "under-thirty-something-tweeting-you-tubers."
Ah! The kids are, indeed, alright.


Already, the movement is no longer about disputing the recent election.
Now, it seems to be slowly transforming into a question of what the "youth" of Iran really want.
(Mousavi, in the end, may turn out to be irrelevant.)

I hope they want to sit around cafes sipping whatever is you sip in Iran, talking politics, movies, music, etc.
I hope they want to turn Tehran into a tourist destination.
I hope they've had enough of hate filled speech from radical religious dictators.
I hope they wish to refute, and wrest control from, those who trivialize not only their ideas, but their very lives.

I hope they want their actions to improve their lives.

Otherwise, what's the point?

What it will amount to in the end I do not know.
But it does seem to me that a genie has been let out of the bottle.
Get luck to the mullahs getting it back in.

No comments: